Project OverviewThe Grid is realizing the vision of providing computation as utility: computational jobs can be scheduled on-demand at Grid hosts based on available computational capacity. In this project, we study another emerging usage of Grid utility: the hosting of application services. Different from a computational job, an application service such as an e-Laboratory or an on-line business has longer lifetime, and performs multiple jobs requested by its clients. A service Hosting Utility Platform (HUP) is formed by a set of hosts in the Grid, and multiple application services will be hosted on the HUP.
SODA is a Service-On-Demand Architecture that enables on-demand creation of application services on a HUP. With SODA, an application service will be created in the form of a set of virtual service nodes; each node is a virtual machine which is physically a `slice' of a real host in the HUP. SODA involves both OS and middleware techniques, and has the following salient capabilities: (1) on-demand service priming: the image of an application service as well as the OS on which it runs will be created on-demand and bootstrapped automatically; (2) better service isolation: services sharing the same HUP host are isolated with respect to administration, faults, intrusion, and resources; (3) integrated service load management: for each service, a service switch will be created to direct client requests to appropriate virtual service nodes. Moreover, the application service provider can replace the default request switching policy with a service-specific policy.
PeopleFaculty and PI's
- Dongyan Xu, Xuxian Jiang, "Towards an Integrated Multimedia Service Hosting Overlay", Proceedings of ACM Multimedia 2004, New York, NY, October 2004 (invited) [ppt]
- Xuxian Jiang, Dongyan Xu, Rudolf Eigenmann, "Protection Mechanisms for Application Service Hosting Platforms", Proceedings of IEEE/ACM Int'l Symposium on Cluster Computing and the Grid (CCGrid 2004), Chicago, IL, April 2004.
- Dongyan Xu, Xuxian Jiang " SODA: a Service-On-Demand Architecture for Application Service Hosting Utility Platforms" Invited talk at VERITAS, Nov. 2003
- Xuxian Jiang, Dongyan Xu "SODA: a Service-On-Demand Architecture for Application Service Hosting Utility Platforms" Proceedings of The 12th IEEE International Symposium on High Performance Distributed Computing (HPDC-12), Seattle, WA, June 2003 [pdf ppt]
- Xuxian Jiang "SODA: a Service-On-Demand Architecture An Utility Computing Perspective" Qual II presentation, Department of Computer Sciences, Purdue University, West Lafayette, IN, April 2003 [ppt]
Software ReleaseA new version of SODA with significant enhancement is being developed.
To obtain the current working version of SODA, contact Professor Dongyan Xu.
- Value-added Grid platforms
- Active services
- Resource isolation
- Virtualization technologies